Monday, October 24, 2011

Random Thoughts for the End of October




The end of the month of October brings with it several things … Halloween, the start of the Holiday season, too much junk food, and cooler weather. Have you ever wondered what the point of Halloween is?



Ok, so Halloween started as a ritual to ward off evil spirits and prevent your soul from being stolen. Now it is an excuse to party and dress up in silly costumes. Personally, I think we need more excuses to dress up and escape ourselves for a while… but then that’s why I go to sci-fi and fantasy conventions. Well, that and an excuse to go on vacation and hang out with friends.



Don’t get me wrong, I love Halloween – almost as much as I love Christmas. I don’t know if it’s the costumes, the fall weather, the decorations, or just that I’m a big kid at heart but I love this time of year.



What I DON’T like about Halloween is the scary movies. I’ve never been into horror movies much unless they are comedies or just suspenseful rather than gory. It’s all good fun to watch The Addams Family, Young Frankenstein, or The Mummy, but I can’t stand even the thought of watching Halloween, Child’s Play or movies of that nature.



As for ghost hunting: I personally prefer not to provoke any spirits that might be around. I’ve got enough issues with life as it is without inviting any evil into my home, though I wouldn’t be too upset at a benign haunting.



Whatever your preferences for this fall season, I hope you have a Happy Halloween.

No comments: